Saturday, January 19, 2013

Export thy numbers... the tutorial

Ever wonder how RSC makes numbered texture sets? All those nice, complex and infuriatingly difficult XML files that search and replace just might not work on in a pinch?

Well I have news for you. Its simpler than you think to just export your own texture sets by letting the blueprint editor do all that heavy lifting for you. Its probably the only time it would easier to do it this way rather than cloning the BIN, running it over SERZ.exe, opening it in Notepad++, etc...

Lets get to it. In this example I want to export some number textures I will be using for some speed signs I am making. I have my 64px x 64px number ACE file done, and I place them in my source folder so the blueprint editor can get at them. Using the Provider\Product folder structure they will end up at: 'TGC\Tutorials\RailNetwork\TextureSets\textures'. Since this is not a model there is no IGS file.

Open up the blueprint editor (no need for the asset editor... no model to view), and expand the tree.

Right click on the TextureSets folder and create a 'Named texture set blueprint'.

Rename the XML to something nice, save it, and then reload it (small bug it seems).

Give it a nice name to remember it by. Then expand the 'Texture entry...' section press 'Insert first' and expand the 'Texture entry'

Here we need to provide a name for the texture, and the path to the ACE. Since I am working with numbers 0 through 9 I will enter '0' in the 'Texture name' field. Then right click on the ACE we want to reference, copy the file name, and paste (Ctrl + V) into the 'Texture ID' field.



And do the same thing for the rest of the number. In the end we have 10 entries.

After exporting we will get a new BIN and TgPcDx files, which we can now use for mileposts, wagons, signs, and engines.


No comments:

Post a Comment