Monday, January 2, 2012

Why I am not beta testing for RSC

Back in December RSC made a call out to the community asking for beta testers to test out a number of planned fixes for the game engine:
The following improvements are contained in this update:
Optimisation of particle effects
Improvements in use of multicore machines
Corrected Superelevated 3D track
Casting lights are scaled back on lower settings
Tile File loading optimisations
Improved anti-aliasing
Incorrect water clipping fixed
Corrected electric power on 3rd rail routes
Gantry tool offers height offset
Corrections to Pixelshader 2.0
I applaud RSC for this move. They will hopefully get a wide segment of tester who have had problems with the latest engine upgrade and quash the performance bugs for good. I also hope they continue to do beta testing when they make epic routes, or enhancements to the game engine. Which brings me to the point of this post. While I have commented on proper Development and QA processes here and on other boards, and I am very happy to QA other peoples work weather they are repaints, or models. I simply do not have the time to do a proper job helping RSC with their beta. The reason being is that I have a third son due to be born... well it could be in hours, not sure, but its close. So while I plan to be on paternity leave to bond with my new boy, and to run the house while my wife recuperates, so as you can tell I don't plan on having much free time.

Let me part on a technical note however, especially if RSC does read this humble blog. Beta testing as helpful as it is, should not be considered first tier QA. Please, Please, have your QA department be merciless on the builds and get most if not all of your P1 bugs fixed before handing it off to the beta testers.


No comments:

Post a Comment