Friday, June 24, 2011

Adding ground texture's to the CC

An interesting question came up over at RWA on how to add to your current ground textures. I guess I wasn't the only one that felt trapped by the Blueprint Editor when creating their route where you can only pick one. I already knew there were more ground textures out there, but until now I didn't know how to work with them. I know I'm not inventing the wheel here, but I will devote a few posts on how I am modifying my textures for the CC.

First I need to know which texture BIN file my route is using. I can do that by looking at my RouteProperties.xml file. BUT, before I do that I backed up my RoutePorpteries.xml put it somewhere safe. If I mess up the XML I will have the original to fall back on.

Now I can open up my RouteProperties.xml and look for the TerrainBlueprint section. Here is what mine looks like... don't ask why I chose EU texturing.... I simply did not know better.
<TerrainBlueprint>
  <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
   <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
     <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju</Provider>
     <Product d:type="cDeltaString">RailSimulator</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
   </BlueprintSetID>
   <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Environment\Terrain\EUTexturing.xml</BlueprintID>
  </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
 </TerrainBlueprint>
Now I know what texture BIN my route is using. I want to copy that file (rename it as well) to my own asset folder. Then I can change the Provider and Product (and file name) in my RouteProperties.
<TerrainBlueprint>
  <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
   <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
     <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">DMV</Provider>
     <Product d:type="cDeltaString">CC_Route</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
   </BlueprintSetID>
   <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Environment\Terrain\Texturing.xml</BlueprintID>
  </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
 </TerrainBlueprint>
The reason I made a copy of the current BIN the route was using and say not clone the BIN that G-TraX Portland Terminal used was because I was warned (by artimrj of RWA) that the editor remembers which order the textures were read in as. This means if Dry Grass was read in second when I created the route (remember this is just an example) and then I reordered the list in the BIN by adding texture above it, say Corn Fields, then I would get a huge surprise next time I reload the route (Niles was not known for its Corn Fields...).

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment